Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ethel's Grill in Kalihi

One (of the many) good thing about having a new job, is getting new recommendations about where to eat! We had a very disappointing office holiday lunch at Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch & Crab (the menu choices sounded delicious, but no one actually enjoyed their meal), so we took ourselves for a guaranteed good meal at Ethel's Grill in Kalihi. I'd heard amazing things about the mochiko chicken and sashimi there, so knew I had to try it.

Ethel's is sit-down (in my mind, it was more of a bento / okazuya type place), and sitting down next to us was none other than Honolulu Magazine's renowned restaurant reviewer. A sign of a good place!

First page of the menu


I didn't even notice the specials up above the kitchen until after we had ordered, but I know I need to expand to those on the next trip. The cabbage rolls were especially popular today; I noticed several tables eating them.Additional menu items:
We started with the tataki sashimi, which is only $5. I loved the sesame - soy dressing, and the boiled fern greens on the side. Topped with thinly sliced fried garlic. Amazing.

I had the mochiko chicken - it was big pieces compared to an okazuya - so light and crispy on the outside, moist on the inside. I poured the dipping sauce all over the chicken. It comes as an entire meal (with rice, miso soup, salad and fruit punch / iced tea) for just $7!

My friend had the garlic chicken....yum. (That's a piece of it on the center of my mochiko chicken plate)


The service was fantastic and so friendly; they gave us some free andagi because they felt the wait was too long, even though we didn't even notice it!

232 Kalihi St.

Honolulu, HI 96819

847-6467


No comments: