Sunday, February 12, 2012

Dash Gastropub on McCully

Yelpers were already talking about Dash during its soft opening period, so we went to check it out in January. I guess they already had their grand opening last week (? I'm not cool enough to get invited). I like the concept of a "gastropub" - except that I always thought a gastropub signifies fancy burgers and "pub" food. I guess in Hawaii it means "I'm doing what Home Bar and Side Street Inn already do, but I'm going to call it something different so that you will come check it out."

Dash in on McCully where the ASB bank and a coffee shop used to be. They have a small parking lot (maybe 8 spaces?) otherwise you have to find street parking. It looks like a sports bar - I think they could've gone with nicer furniture given the prices and menu they have.

We started with cocktails - this is the ume-shiso mojito. They normally mix it with apple rum (?) but we requested ours with vodka, which was just sweet enough. $8 - no happy hour specials during the soft opening but hopefully they will have some now.
Ultimate hiyakko tofu: cold tofu with 3 colors of sauce, bonito flakes, green onion, and more yummy stuff that I can't remember.
Kettle chips: homemade french fries! I was torn between ordering this and the steak fries, but everyone on Yelp was raving about the chips.
Bacon fried rice: brilliant. I ate this until I felt ill. I thought I was in love with Side Street Inn fried rice, but this might have a new spot in my heart.
Ahi tataki with cucumber slices and yellow tobiko.
Total for 4 of us for 4 starters with 1 drink was about $110.

1018 McCully St
Honolulu, HI 96826
Yelp

No comments: