Monday, January 30, 2012

Sweet Home Waimanalo

I don't really know how to describe Sweet Home Waimanalo. It's a tiny cafe on the side of Kalanianiole Highway as you're driving through Waimanalo. The first time I heard about them, I heard about fish tacos. Then, the second time I heard about them, I heard they had a "roof garden" -- a garden growing on top of their roof. Now that I've eaten there, whenever someone asks me where I've been eating recently, I tell them:

Go to Sweet Home Waimanalo. Tomorrow. And get the beef stew with a side of cornbread.

From the outside:
Cute picnic tables!
Fish tacos with bok choy slaw...ok but would not order again.
 Now THIS is why you go there. Brisket beef stew with kalo (instead of potatoes) and "hapa" rice (mix of white and brown). It was small. I was still hungry. Which is why you get a side order of cornbread.
Brisket plate with cornbread, purple sweet potato salad, and nalo greens. I tried this the 2nd time I went, because I loved the brisket in the beef stew so much. I'd stick with the beef stew, but the cornbread with life changing (if you like a very sweet and buttery cornbread).

41-1025 Kalanianaole Hwy
Waimanalo, HI 96795
(808) 259-5737

No comments: