Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Top meals of 2010

Top meals in Hawaii (I was only here for a few months, so there weren't that many opportunities)


+ Ono to go
This is a new lunch truck, located on Kapiolani Boulevard, run by 3 guys who love the bbq. I loved the combo poke / kalua pig & cabbage bowl with brown rice, but the bbq is ono as well.


+ Ed Kenney (of Town) catering at Punahou...opa with pan-fried pa'i'ai. Despite the fact that he was catering for probably about ~150 people, this was one of the highlights of my year!


**Top meals outside of Hawaii**

+ Azul / Shanghai

Tapas bar in Shanghai, greatest sangria in the city
+ Haiku / Shanghai

I always have my birthday here, and it was one of my last meals in Shanghai. Run by Chinese American, Alan Wong, who imported "california style" fancy sushi rolls to China.


+ Boulcott Street Bistro / Wellington (New Zealand)

I still remember the tenderness of the lamb shank




+ Tamarind Restaurant / Luang Prabang (Laos)


It's a fancy version of local Laotian dishes, but still cheap (I recall less than $10 a meal). The 4 roast veggie dips with the toasty seaweed was amazing.

+ Hunter valley (wine country outside of Sydney)
We ate at the Tuscany bed & breakfast. The Hunter is a wine region outside of Sydney famed for their Semillons (white wine). If you go, definitely visit Tyrell's, Ashley Wilkinson, and de Bortoli wineries.

Eats: oysters (amazing!), cheeses, and mediterranean-inspired dips






No comments: