Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Frozen yogurt wars heating up

Milano Freezer
98-150 Kaonohi St
Aiea, HI 96701
(808) 488-7976


So aside from the tacky name, Milano Freezer (an LA chain?) is a new entrant in Hawaii’s nascent frozen yogurt wars. All of us fro yo fans used to complain about the lack of pinkberry or red mango in the islands, and then Yogurt Land opened up around July in Manoa. I thought that Milano opened up after Yogurt Land, but after reading some reviews on Yelp, I realized they’ve been around for at least a year already! So I guess I have to say that they were the first ones (aside from Yami Yogurt, which has always had the plain flavored fro yo).

Milano serves both gelato and fro yo. Their fro yo is delish – super soft and creamy, just the right texture and sourness. They have 4 flavors every day: always plain, and then 3 rotating fruit/green tea flavors. We also tried the gelato, and I’d have to say go with the fro yo. It tasted more like frozen yogurt than gelato to me, but I guess that’s a bonus if you’re looking for a dessert that’s on the lighter side…


No comments: