Friday, June 30, 2006

Review: India Cafe

India Cafe
South King Street across from Puck's Alley by University

Also not a downtown restaurant, but wanted to include this restaurant in the list. I don't eat a lot of Indian food, but there are a number of reasonably priced Indian restaurants that I grew accustomed to eating at in Shanghai. So last night Jane and I decided to go looking for some good Indian food in Honolulu.

First, we drove to Indian Bazaar (South King near Young St) but it was closed (sign in window said it's open Monday - Saturday, 11am - 5 pm). I wanted to try that one, because I saw a photo online. . .it looks like 'Indian Plate Lunch' where all of the food is already prepared, and you just pick 2 choices for your plate.

Then we drove over to University near Pucks Alley. My grandpa said that there are 2 Indian restaurants, one on either side of King St. He said 'only eat at the one on the Mauka side of the street,' but he had no idea what it was called. We walked all around, but didn't see any Indian food on the mauka said of the street, so we ended up at India Cafe on the makai side of King St.

We ordered the chicken vindaloo, eggplant bharta, and mango chutney. The manager/waiter gave us some free yogurt sauce as well, since I was rolling my eyes and complaining about how slow the food was ;) I could've done without both the yogurt and the chutney, they were both rather average. The vindaloo ($13.95) was excellent however, and the eggplant ($8.95) was just so-so. We ordered rice; I expected plain rice but it was sort of a pilaf with carrots and peas in it ($3.50).

No comments: